VIDEO OF THE DAY - OWL CITY - VERGE FT. ALOE BLACC

19 March 2012

Manchester Music Promoter selected as torchbearer for London 2012

Alex McCann

Manchester Music Promoter selected as torchbearer for London 2012


Manchester music promoter Alex McCann of Designer Magazine has been selected as 1 of the 8000 torchbearers for London 2012... and is on 5 stone weightloss mission to take part

Setting up Designer Magazine in June 1999 as an online music magazine that interviewed everybody from The Rolling Stones Bill Wyman through to the likes of My Chemical Romance, Scissor Sisters and Muse. Live events started in the Summer of 2004 and have featured the likes of Bombay Bicycle Club, Kids In Glass Houses, Dear Eskiimo who went on to be known as the Ting Tings and members of The Kooks, The Wombats and Gallows amongst others. They were also one of the organisers behind the Hungry Pigeon Festival in Manchester which put on Athlete, The Travelling Band and Kid British on in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester City Centre

Explaining how the torchbearing nomination came about Alex explains

"One of the regulars who have attended our gigs in South Manchester and the city centre nominated with the simple nomination of "Alex puts on gigs and that in turn makes people happy". I never really thought I'd get picked as one of the UK representatives, as I'm simply doing what I love. But it's easy to forget how much music saves - I remember listening to The Smiths and The Manic Street Preachers when I was a teenager and how they impacted on my life. I can only hope that some of the bands that play our gigs go on to have that affect on people. I used to run regular all ages gigs at Bar Amp in Sale, South Manchester and to this date I have people who played the events as kids who are now studying music at University as a result so that's a lasting legacy"

It's not just why Alex was nominated that is astounding, but the mission he's been on since November to get in shape to do the run

"Rock & roll is about excess and I even named a night about it called Fish, Chips and Rock & Roll - so my first thought when I was conditionally nominated in November was how the hell do I run this. I made an overnight decision I had to lose 5 stone via a daily exercise regime and I actually chose my Olympic uniform deliberately too small so I was forced to stick to it. 4 months later i've broke the 4 stone loss barrier and am heading to the 5 stone loss mark which ideally i'll hit by the end of the April. I now get up at 6am most mornings to exercise first thing most mornings, which is something I never thought I'd say"

And what's been the highlight of over 12 years in music?
"A lot of people might think it's the bigger names that have come through or the biggest gig which was Athlete in Piccadilly Gardens at Hungry Pigeon. The ultimate highlight for me in all these years has been indie pop band The Mandigans at Sale Waterside in Feb 2009. They were a band I took from their debut gig to managing them a few gigs later and I haven't seen a crowd like this at a gig since. 330 fanatical fans hanging on every word - one of their fans described it years later as Beatle mania but in South Manchester 

I'm very much about looking to the next 12 years though and I believe that Kat Mullen who I've just taken on for management will play a huge part in that. Just pure honest soulful music that's been compared to Tracy Chapman, Laura Marling, Robyn and Adele. She's the best female artist we've had on a gig to date and it's so exciting to be working with a real talent"

Alex McCann is available for interviews to talk about the Olympic Torchbearing

For more info

A justgiving page has been set up to raise for The Christie for the weightloss here www.justgiving.com/alex-mccann (at the time of going to press it's raised over £400)

Please email designermagazine@hotmail.com or call 07806 774279    

TORCHBEARER DETAILS
* Alex McCann's torchbearer section will be taking place on Friday June 29th in Buxton
* Altrincham, Cheshire Resident
* Events take place in Manchester City Centre and South Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment