VIDEO OF THE DAY - OWL CITY - VERGE FT. ALOE BLACC

7 April 2011

Exclusive Interview with Ruarri Joseph

 
MusicmafiaUK has been in conversation with Ruarri Joseph ahead of his UK Tour and visit to the Shipping Forecast in Liverpool. Read what he had to say to us and his thoughts about the new album Shoulder to the wheel


Can you tell us where your influence and ideas came for the new album “Shoulder to the wheel” ?
 
The record kind of came from nowhere.  I  had no preconceptions about the end result, I was just writing, recording and mixing all at the same time, like a stream of consciousness, and then suddenly found I had another record under my belt.  When I think about it now there’s an underlying theme of hope and light at the end of the tunnel I guess, optimism in the face of adversity and what not, but it really wasn’t planned.   The previous year had been pretty insane and it was the first time I’d done any real music for quite some time, so I was doing it for myself.  I knew nothing about gospel music but loved the idea of music that gives you faith and truth, so it’s an interpretation of that if anything.  

      You play the Shipping Forecast in Liverpool on Saturday. Have you played Liverpool before and what are your impressions of it if you have?

Yeah I’ve played Liverpool a few times, always a pleasure.   The people are super friendly.  When I was a kid we lived next door to a guy from Liverpool who used to play a Hammond organ at full volume.  I’d stand in the garden and be loving it.  He gave me an LP of the Kop choir singing all their different football songs (the clean ones), which was my first record.  He said I could have it so long as I supported Liverpool!  It’s a cool place
.   
      What type of gig will the people coming to see you expect to see?

We’re playing a bunch of duo shows, so it’s me and my friend Al who plays electrics and anything else with strings.  We still mix it up a load.  Some old, some new, the odd request, whatever.  We take each show as it comes and try to make sure the audience is happy.  I hate any show where the singer tells the audience to be quiet.  We’re there for them.

      The Shipping forecast is a great venue for intimate gigs due to its outlay. Do you think your music will reflect well in these surroundings?

I hope so.  Like I say, each gig is totally different.  Sometimes they’re quiet and intimate, sometimes rowdy as hell but it’s good to be versatile.  I’d like to think we could make it work whatever our setting.

       You have 2 other albums (both sides of the coin/Live at the acorn) how does the new album compare to the other 2?

Actually I have three other albums.  My first album was called Tales of Grime and Grit and came out on Atlantic records in 2007 but I no longer own the rights to it so I don’t know what they’re doing with it.  That record was made within the major system, so big studio, producer, mix engineer, budget, but as much fun as it was, I’m not sure it suited me.  The second record (both sides of the coin) I’m still really proud of as I’d done the brave (or stupid) thing by leaving Atlantic and poured my heart and soul into it, doing everything including releasing it through my own label which was tough going but really satisfying.  I pulled out of the promotional tour on that record when my eldest became ill and had to be taken to hospital for some time, so I always feel it had more to give but wasn’t meant to be.  I was a dad and a husband for the next 8 months and then Shoulder to the Wheel popped out.  The new record is the most ‘me’ a record could be.  I wasn’t writing for a label or to prove anything, just purely for the love of music.

      How has the tour been so far and what has been the reaction of the audiences?

We start tomorrow so I’ll let you know.

     What’s next for Ruarri Joseph? 

I’ve been writing and recording some new stuff and got the rest of the year between shows and festivals to piece it all together.  Just trying to stay afloat and happy for now.

You can catch Ruarri on Saturday 9th April in Liverpool at the Shipping Forecast

No comments:

Post a Comment